Sunday, January 23, 2005

IMBB 11 - Gail's Hummus



The following is my Aunt Gail's contribution to IMBB 11 ...

Hi Cathy---just a quick note to send you my "bean" recipe. This was taught to me by my friend Lorraine whose parents were Lebanese and was my first introduction to Middle Eastern cuisine, which I've come to really enjoy.


Hummus

One can chick peas, drained, save liquid
3 (or more) cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup tahini (sesame seed butter)
Juice of 1/2 lemon
About 2 Tbsp liquid from peas

Put peas, garlic, salt and liquid from peas in food processor. Process till smooth, adding more liquid to achieve the consistency desired. Add tahini and lemon juice and process until smooth.
I like this used as a dip for baby carrots and celery, or as a spread on pita bread. It's so much better than purchased hummus!

No comments: