Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Dining with the Bloggers – March 2nd

I realize there are places where it’s warm this time of year… but it sure isn’t here! I love soup anytime of year, but particularly when it’s cold out. I also tend to favor one-pot meals and things that freeze well and can be reheated – soup fits the bill perfectly. I think too that soup lends itself to improvisation, which may be why there are so many enticing recipes out there. I’ve only tried a few, but I look forward to trying many more.

A few weeks ago I tried the Tomatillo and Sweet Potato Soup from the hungry tiger. Tomatillos, tomatoes, and garlic are roasted and then pureed and combined with sautéed onions, vegetable broth and seasonings. The recipe calls for sumac which I didn’t have, but I consulted the Cook’s Thesaurus and substituted a little lemon juice. The resulting soup is sweet, tangy, and hearty. It is quite different from anything I’ve ever had – probably because of the tanginess of the tomatillos. I enjoyed it from the start, but found it grew on me even more as I consumed the leftovers.

Just last week I made a gigantic batch of the Culinary Muse’s Skinny Soup. She’s not kidding when she tells you to “get out your largest pot”. Don’t let the name fool you, though. With a whole pound of lentils in it, this soup is a meal that is tasty and fills you up. There’s quite a bit of chopping to do, but it’s an easy soup to throw together. And with the huge quantity it makes, you can eat it all week and still have more for the freezer. How great is that?

With all those great soups out there, Zarah is bound to have found another yummy one. If you haven’t already, stop by Food and Thoughts to see for yourself.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Mmmm...soup! I was just thinking that I need to find a good soup recipe to go with the cheese tart I'm planning for this weekend. That tomatilla and sweet potato soup has piqued my interest!

Cerebrum said...

Wauw, a soup with sumac? I have a whole jar full, and don't know what to use it for other than fattoush salads! And I've never used tomatillos before... interesting...

Cathy said...

Hi Stephanie - try it you'll like it!

Hi Zarah - that's funny, I'd never heard of sumac before (except as a tree or poison variety!). They didn't have it in either of the grocery stores I frequent, though it is available from Penzey's I believe.