Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Dining with the Bloggers - April 13th



The theme this week is cheese. I confess that this is my doing - it was a choice made several weeks back and by the time "cheese week" rolled around, I was wishing it was "lettuce week" or some such. I've been indulging a bit too much lately and with my trip to Sicily rapidly approaching, I feel the need to good (so that I can be bad in Sicily, of course).

With cheese I didn't see many options for being good (as in eating healthfully), so I just went for being good (as in delicious). I thought about pizza, but then came across Santos' Tomato Tart. If you take a look, you'll see...this is what pizza wants to be when it grows up.

Santos has a breezy way of describing how she cooks that makes it sound so easy. For the pastry she "...added all these little bits and bobs of cheese i had in the fridge...". She used a combination of parmesan, gruyere, fontina and pecorino. Yum. I looked in my fridge and found parmesan, leerdammer, and jack. Oh dear... do they even go together? I hemmed and hawed about which to use and which to leave out, but finally decided (in the spirit of "bits and bobs") to use them all.

I used cherry tomatoes, cut the pastry recipe in half, and made individual tarts. I had enough pastry for three but stuck one blob in the freezer for later and made just two tarts. They came out beautifully. It was delicious too - the rich cheesy crust and sweet roasted tomatoes were both wonderful. I have one more tart waiting to be reheated tomorrow...then I'm going to be good.

Zarah tried some pretty elegant mac 'n cheese. Oh my gosh that sounds good!

5 comments:

santos. said...

wheee! summer must be near if the tomato tarts come out :-) what leerdamer?

Cathy said...

I'm afraid my tomatoes were imported, but they still tasted pretty darn good! Leerdammer (spelled it wrong originally - I'm going to correct that) I just learned last night is a Dutch cheese. It looks like Swiss cheese and is rich and mild tasting. Cook's Thesaurus compares it to Jarlsburg and Emmental. For at least a year I've been eating a sample in Whole Foods almost every week (they usually have cheese samples out on the weekend and this is one that makes frequent appearances). I finally bought a chunk a couple of weeks ago.

brownbreadicecream said...

Mmm, tomato tart sounds so good. Would love to see a picture of your tart, Cathy!

I must say, are there cheeses that actually don't taste delicious together?

Cathy said...

Hi Rachel - sorry, my little tarts are all gone and no pictures to show for it! When I started doing this I decided I would not post pictures for these Dining with the Bloggers posts and instead direct people to the original posts for photos - it puts the focus where it should be (the blogger who originally posted the recipe) and lets me cook without a camera for a change! Click on one of the links above to see Santos' rendition of her Tomato Tart.

brownbreadicecream said...

Oh, I see! That's a very nice way of doing things.