Monday, May 22, 2006

Mondays with Maida - Cobblestones


Page 132 in the old book / page 168 in the new book

These are not cookies that stand up and say, "look at me!", yet they are everything I look for in a cookie - delicious, easy-to-make, chewy and satisfying. Though not unusual in any way, they are arguably my favorite cookie in the book.

Cobblestones are the kind of cookie I'd fill my cookie jar with - if I kept one filled (and but for those nasty worries of calories, saturated fat, and cholesterol, I would!) They hold up well over several days and are enjoyed by just about everyone.

These brown sugar and spice cookies are loaded with raisins and walnuts and enriched with butter and sour cream. They are not what you generally think of as an icebox cookie. The dough is pressed into a jelly-roll pan, chilled, and then cut into bars. This technique results in wonderfully thick cookies with a rectangular, "cobblestone" shape.

The cookie panel liked these very much, though perhaps they were not so enamored of them as I...

Suzanne: Even though the cookie had raisins, I actually liked this cookie. It had an interesting rectangle shape. The cookie was soft and therefore the texture fit in with the soft raisins. I loved the spices and found the cookie filling. Rating - 4.0"

Denny: "Very good. Rating - 4.0"

Laura: "Chewy, nutty-crunchy, and delicious! Rating - 3.5"

Terri: "A delicious mix of nuts and spices make this shapely cookie a real treat. The raisins could be fewer, but this combination is great. Rating - 4.0"

Overall rating by the panel - 3.9

Next week - Neapolitans

Nutrition Facts

11 comments:

Rowena said...

You know, it just occurred to me that I could've started something like this for one day out of the week at work. Only recently did I come to learn that my boss is a sugar fiend! And so it seems is everyone else in the kitchen. Maybe next time...

Raisins, and nuts, and chewy goodness sounds alright by me. :-)

Nic said...

They certainly sound good to me, Cathy. I bet that these are the kind of cookies that ship really well, too. I'm already making a mental note for the next holiday season.

Cathy said...

Hi Rowena! I'm sure you still could! I worried in the beginning that too many people wouldn't want cookies every week because they were dieting, but that hasn't been a problem at all!

Hi Nic! You're right - these would be perfect for mailing. They're sturdy and keep well.

African Kelli said...

Sold. I'd like one with a cold glass of milk please.

Cathy said...

Hi Kelli! Comin' right up!

Anonymous said...

Those cookies look very yummy. Cathy, what are you going to do when you finish Maida's book...?

Cathy said...

Hi Mari! Thanks so much - oh gee, I don't know! I suspect that after a little break I'll probably pick another cookie book and keep on going - maybe Maida Heatter's more recent cookie book. Of course, that's still a year and a half away, so I could be really tired of cookies by then... right, that'll be the day!

Niki said...

I've been intrigued as to how these cookies would look, based on the description in the book. For some reason, maybe cos they're called cobblestones, I always imaged them to look kind of greyish!!!

Cathy said...

Hi Niki - oh my! Not to worry - they're not at all grey!

Anonymous said...

We really liked the Cobblestone Cookies. They keep well and have just the right amount of spices. We rated them a 4.75. I look forward to each Monday! Thanks!!

Cathy said...

Hi Barbara! I'm with you - these cookies are tops in my book!