Monday, July 17, 2006

Mondays with Maida - Icebox Nut Cookies


Page 144 in the old book / page 178 in the new book

I thought these were very good. They are lemony, very crunchy, and loaded with nuts. I used pecans, but walnuts could also be used.

The recipe gave several options for shaping the dough for slicing. I chose to make a single log, but there weren't any instructions about how long or big around the log should be. Based on the thickness and number of cookies the recipe was supposed to make, I guessed that the log should be about 12 inches long, which made for a very fat log. The cookies were large, but not overly so. The real problem was that because of the size of the log, I had trouble slicing them evenly. If I were to make these again, I would make the log a little smaller around.

I also had some trouble with the cookies running together when baked. The recipe indicated that they should be placed "1/2 to 1 inch apart", but I found that half an inch was too close.

Here's the panel...

Suzanne: "The cookie was actually too crunchy and too lemony. The cookie did not soften as you ate it. I did enjoy the pecans. Rating- 3.0"

Denny: "Very good. Couldn't taste the lemon, but lots of pecans. 4.0, maybe higher. Rating - 4.0"

Laura: "A crisp, crunchy cookie with the perfect amount of nuts and just a hint of lemon. Yummy! Rating - 3.0"

Terri: "These shortbread type cookies are delicious! The slight lemon flavor adds a mild lemony taste. Very crunchy with the pecans too. These would be great with a sorbet or sherbet. Rating - 4.0"

Overall rating by the panel - 3.5

Next week - Sesame Fingers

Nutrition Facts

No comments: