Monday, August 14, 2006

Mondays with Maida - Anise Icebox Cookies


Page 150 in the old book / page 182 in the new book

Perhaps it was an omen. These cookies nearly burnt the house down. OK, OK - it wasn't the cookies it was me. I'm the one that forgot to empty the oven before turning it on to preheat and then got distracted with something upstairs. But I still think it was an omen. People don't like anise and people don't like anise cookies.

I love biscotti flavored with fennel, so I fully expected to enjoy these cookies with the very similar flavor of anise and bright taste of lemon. But I admit that I wasn't too surprised to find that most others in my office didn't share my fondness for them - seeds in cookies haven't been terribly popular with this bunch. Near the end of the day I noticed that there were still quite a few cookies left and rather than trying to cajole someone to take them home, I decided I'd cover the box before leaving and just put the rest out again the next day. A few minutes later they were all gone. Turns out these cookies did have one fan in the office - someone who generally stays away from sweets. I'm not sure what made him taste the first one, but after that it was all over. They reminded him of some cookies his mom and sister used to make and he literally stuffed his pockets with the remaining cookies.

Here's the panel...

Suzanne: "I can’t decide ??? I like black licorice, but I’m not a fan of anise. I loved 'Good and Plenty’s'as a kid (boy, I haven’t had any of those in years). There is definitely a strong licorice after taste that makes me want to eat something else to get the taste out of my mouth. I like the lemony taste and crunchy texture of the cookie. I even like the oblong shape. No, I don’t think I care for this cookie. Rating: 2.0"

Denny: "OK, don't like taste of anise, but lemon covered up most of it. Rating - 2.0"

Laura: "Nice light crunchy cookie - delightful flavor, anise seeds... not so much. Rating - 3.0"

Terri: "A delicious combination of lemon and licorice flavors make this an interesting taste. I mostly taste the lemon flavoring. Since I like licorice, this slight flavor comes through also. A crunchy, thin wafer-like cookie, would be great in combination with chocolate. Rating - 3.5"

Overall rating by the panel - 2.6

Next week - Cardamom Cookies from Copenhagen

Nutrition Facts

7 comments:

Jen said...

I am not a big fan of licorice, but these look too good to pass up. I think a two thumbs up from me.

Cerebrum said...

Well, they look pretty. Can't wait to see next weeks cookies though - something from Copenhagen!:-)

Cathy said...

Aww, thanks jenjen! Actually, the anise flavor in these is relatively mild - I'll bet you would enjoy them.

Hi Zarah - thanks! Have you looked at the recipe for next week? I'm curious how authentic it is.

Joycelyn said...

hi cathy, i constantly marvel at how beautifully symmetrical your ice box cookies always are...mine shapes always turn out lopsided!

Cathy said...

Hi Jocelyn - the difference is you're only seeing a few of mine. I assure you there are plenty of lopsided ones every week! This oblong shape is by far the easiest for me though - I have much less luck with the circular ones.

santos. said...

i heart anise. i heart anise cookies. even lopsided ones.

Cathy said...

Thank you Santos - me too. :)