Monday, August 01, 2005

Mondays with Maida - Raisin Oatmeal Cookies


Page 65 in the old book / page 93 in the new book

I'm afraid that this last of the oatmeal drop cookies is still not what I'm looking for in an oatmeal cookie. Judging by the ratings and comments of the cookie panel, it isn't what they're looking for either.

This dough is very thin - almost like a batter - and there's just enough of it to hold together the oats, raisins, and currants. The instructions say to bake these for 17 to 20 minutes, but I found that they smelled and looked done after 14 minutes. When freshly baked, the cookies are slightly crunchy on the outside and chewy inside. I didn't eat one the next day, but they appeared to have lost their crunch by then. I used the old fashioned rolled oats this time, but even that didn't elevate these cookies above the very ordinary.

Brace yourselves. Here's the cookie panel...

Suzanne: "What can I say? This was not my favorite cookie. Actually it tasted like a granola bar in the form of a cookie. It was a little dry so I actually ate the raisins for moistness. Yuk! Rating 2.0 (for effort)"

Denny: "Not my favorite so I'd give it a subjective 2.9. Rating - 2.9"

Terri: "A chewy (almost molasses) taste with lots of raisins! A flat cookie ~ could have used more oatmeal. Rating 3.0"

Phil: "A very wholesome, dense cookie which would be a great companion for that rare wilderness adventure (in lieu of that last handful of trail mix). Tastes a bit like a soft granola bar. If your not in survival mode pass on this one. Rating 2.7"

Overall rating by the panel - 2.7

Next week - Butterscotch Molasses Cookies

Nutrition Facts

5 comments:

Reid said...

Hi Cathy,

I'm going to go with the cookie panel this week. I'm really not sure I'd like them either after reading all of the comments.

Anonymous said...

Ouch...can't all be winners, though. Next week sounds promising! :)

Nic said...

I like the sound of a soft granola bar, but certainly not when I'm anticipating an oatmeal cookie. Keep looking!

Cathy said...

Hi Reid - I can't blame you on that one! Actually, warm from the oven these aren't so bad. I hadn't really noticed until I'd eaten one that the name is Raisin Oatmeal Cookies, rather than Oatmeal Raisin Cookies...which I think was intentional. They are absolutely loaded with raisins and currants.

Hi Alice - I know, though I am really frustrated that there's not a good oatmeal cookie in the bunch (well, except for maybe the Norman Rockwell ones). I was just looking at a recipe in one of her other books which I may have to try to make up with my co-workers for the last couple of weeks! ;)

Hi Nic - I will, I will! Actually there are a couple of unusual drop cookies coming up (which could be utter failures or could be really interesting) and then a whole bunch of brownies, so some good candidates ahead!

Anonymous said...

Cathy,
In reading your posts, one thing stands out: it sounds to me that your oven needs recalibrating. You should check your oven with an oven thermometer and make adjustments that way until it can be done.
Pie Susan