Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Dining with the Bloggers - September 28th



My first impression of Brownie Points was that it was a smart blog with a great look. Well, no wonder... Jocelyn (aka McAuliflower) is a scientist/artist from Eugene, Oregon, and it is apparent that she brings the sensibilities of both her callings to her food blog.

About a month ago I was excited to find that McAuliflower had posted a recipe for Bagel Dogs, an almost forgotten treat that I frequently enjoyed for lunch some years back. In case you're not familiar with this delicacy, it is a Hebrew National hotdog encased in a bagel. I believe I first came across bagel dogs in a deli or sandwich shop, but they were also available in the grocery store. I haven't seen them in ages.

This was my first experience making bagels, but I found McAuliflower's instructions easy to follow and the whole process relatively simple. The yeast dough is prepared quickly and easily in the food processor (another first for me) and rests for a mere five minutes before shaping - no rise time is needed. I had some trouble shaping the dough into a long rope, so even though flattening the "snake" with a rolling pin was no trouble, I wound up with irregularly shaped strips. No matter - the dough was forgiving and once baked, the bagel dogs were beautiful.

I followed McAuliflower's suggestions of adding cooked onion to the dough and sprinkling the tops with salt and dried garlic bits, so these bagel dogs had lots of flavor. I may have been a little overzealous with the onions, as the dough was still quite moist after baking. Not that I'm complaining - these were really and truly delicious. I had such a hard time limiting myself to just one. I reheated one for dinner Tuesday evening (wrapped in foil and then heated in the oven at 350F for 20-25 minutes) and it was just as good the second time around.

I am so happy to have been reunited with this old favorite - thanks McAuliflower!

Be sure to stop by Zarah's to see what she's cooked up for us!

13 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oooh! Oooh! I love this!

Morningstar Farms makes the most amazing veggie dogs (tastes like the real thing, which makes even Matt...the 'wave it at the heat source' carnivore question what's really in hot dogs), and we have a pack in the freezer!

Alex loves bagels. Alex loves veggie dogs. Mommy's scoring points with this one!

Thanks for sharing.

s'kat said...

I'm really glad to see this posting today. My husband is having 'the guys' over for a poker night, and I'd been fretting over what to serve. This is perfect!

And yours looks absolutely scrumptious!

Jocelyn:McAuliflower said...

I'm honored to have been chosen as your dining companion (or rather, the meal!).

Glad you enjoyed the doggies. It's fun thinking of what fun things they need to be rolled in after the boiling step.

cheers!

Nupur said...

They look so delicious, golden and tempting! And Stephanie's veggie dogs tip comes in handy too :)

Cathy said...

Hi Stephanie, s'kat and Nupur - I'm happy to point you in the direction of a good recipe - I think you'll enjoy it!

Hi McAuliflower - I like to think of it as dining companions... in fact when Zarah and I were thinking about a logo, my idea (never successfully realized) was a silhouette of two people toasting each other and each seated in front of a computer monitor. Your idea of making bagel dogs was inspired, and I'm so glad you decided to post about it!

Nic said...

That is a great photo, Cathy. I think that adding the onions, etc was a stronke of brillance. It looks better than the deli kind (of course, I have no doubt it was better tasting).

Cathy said...

Thanks Nic! But just to be clear, it was McAuliflower's stroke of brilliance. I used her suggested flavorings - and am glad I did!

Anonymous said...

Cathy,
You've done it... AGAIN! I went to check out mcauliflower's site and what a surplus of info she has on her site! Will I try the bagel dogs? More than likely ;-)

I tried a recipe from Nupur's blog and was so hooked on the flavor (I tried the stuffed eggplant), that I of course had to start researching indian recipes---will try to cook my way and dig myself out of the stuff that I've found. :whew!:

Cathy said...

Hi Rowena! Oh good - I'm glad I could introduce you to McAuliflower and to bagel dogs!

I know what you mean about being hooked on the flavor!

Joycelyn said...

hi cathy, those look utterly perfect...i love how they resemble a well-fed sausage dog in physique (i have two...)

Cathy said...

Hi Jocelyn - thanks! You have dachshunds! Growing up, there were two (Gimmi and Zsa Zsa) that lived next door to my great aunt and uncle - such sweet dogs! My aunt was largely responsible for their well-fed physiques!

s'kat said...

Cathy- the bagel dogs were a smashing success! 6 hungry poker players can't be wrong: http://skatandthefood.blogspot.com/2005/10/bagel-dogs.html

Thanks again!

Cathy said...

Hi S'kat - that's wonderful!