Monday, September 12, 2005

Mondays with Maida - All-American Brownies


Page 74 in the old book / page 120 in the new book

You know that saying, "less is more"? It has never been more deliciously proven than with these brownies. The recipe for this week's cookie is just a slight variation of last week's Petites Trianons. It is identical, except that it calls for half a cup of flour (as compared to a cup of flour in the Petites Trianons) and has some walnuts thrown in.

With that half cup of flour left out, these brownies become moist and fudgy. One might even think that they have more chocolate in them, but no... it's just that they have less flour.

The technique for these is the same as for the Petites Trianons: melt the butter and chocolate in a saucepan over low heat and then stir in the other ingredients. Couldn't be simpler!

For a while it looked like these brownies were going to get a perfect 5.0. They didn't, but they came mighty close...

Suzanne: "Great! This was the perfect brownie. Rating - 5.0"

Denny: "Should be renamed to Totally Awesome All-American Brownies. What a wonderful country. Rating - 5.0"

Laura: "Moist, chewy, yummy, & chocolatey. Absolutely DELICIOUS! Rating - 5.0"

Phil: "Shiny outer coating, moist fudgy innards tempered by the occasional chunk of walnut. While cookie reviewers are subject to strict rules of confidentiality, audible sighs of pleasure could be heard wafting from the cubes. Rating - 4.8"

Overall rating by the panel - 4.95

Next week - Greenwich Village Brownies

Nutrition Facts

10 comments:

Niki said...

And they DO look spectacular! I looked at doing those for my brownies yesterday and now I can't remember why I went with the Fudge Brownie Recipe a few pages on. Although, I think think that one will get some pretty high ratings too!

Niki said...

Hang on - I'm confused. It's only early Monday morning over here, and we're a million hours ahead of you - did you get in early with these and serve them on Friday??

Cathy said...

Hi Niki - Thanks! Did you use nuts in yours? I was looking at that recipe a little earlier and trying to decide whether I would or not.

About the dates, etc. - I bake a week ahead of what I post. So, as we speak (type?), I have a pan of Greenwich Village Brownies in the oven. To make things even more confusing I cheat - I usually post late Sunday night and date it for 12am Monday. This weekend my internet connection was kind of flaky, so I posted a little earlier than I usually do just in case it went down again.

So you caught me!

Nic said...

I should really try these, Cathy. They look great - and the ratings are amazing! What gives with Phil's rating? He must have taken off points for something....

Cathy said...

Hi Nic! Thanks - they were good! Phil did say something to me about the size of the nuts (he would have liked them a little smaller), so that may have been the reason. I haven't been assigning a numerical rating to the cookies myself, but if I were, I think I would tend to hold back on the highest rating in order to leave room for something even more wonderful ahead.

Niki said...

No, I didn't add nuts to mine, because I had decided to flavour them with mint (story soon), and I thought mint and walnuts might be too much of a combination. I did add a handful of mini choc drops to the batter, though - which was verrry yummy.
Although, I have to admit that because we can't get unsweetened chocolate in Australia, I used dark choc and cut the sugar down by 1/3. And that which I did use was half white/half brown (the recipe specifies just white) to increase squidginess. So, whether I actally made Maida Heatter's Fudge Brownies is open to interpretation, I guess.

Reid said...

Hi Cathy,

I was looking at this recipe in the book and thought it would be good. Now that I know, I guess I'm going to have to try them myself.

Stephanie said...

Finally!

A recipe from the book (which I have) I know Matt will eat!

Thank you, thank you.

Anonymous said...

These look so delicious! I've been following your Mondays with Maida for months now, it's been such fun. I'm going to have to go out and search for this book so I can make these, too! Can never have too many brownie recipes...

Cathy said...

Hi Niki - mmm... that sounds good! I don't think I'd want nuts with peppermint either, but the chocolate chips sound like a great addition. From the sounds of it, I think you've come up with a recipe of your very own, inspired by Maida Heatter!

Hi Reid - do try these - they're so easy and really good!

Hi Stephanie - you're welcome, you're welcome!!

Hi Luisa - thank you! If you click on the link "old book" below the photo above, you'll see where you can buy the older book (now out of print, but new copies are still available). The new book, which is a compilation of cookie recipes from several of her books is available from a number of sources, including (in my case) the local library!