Sunday, April 02, 2006

Spring, Springing.... Sprung!



A week or so ago, when spring had officially begun, it didn't feel much like spring around here and it was hard to imagine that it was just around the corner. But this weekend the sunny warm weather, blooming trees, and twittering birds leave no room for doubt - spring is here. Makes me wish there was a spring break for grown-ups!

I am normally immune to that spring cleaning bug, but with Zarah's arrival imminent, this year I have succumbed. I took a break to run out for a couple of ingredients for this week's cookies and was struck by how much was in bloom. When I got back I went for a walk so I could soak up the sights, the sounds and the scents of spring...











These cat-nine-tails aren't exactly harbingers of spring, but they were so strange and beautiful, like ghostly cotton candy. I was snapping away when I heard some commotion...



I had startled some deer. This picture isn't very good - but you can see the white tail. When they were running away from me I was amazed at how long their tails were. After a bit, they decided I wasn't as scary as they first thought and returned to resume their grazing... at a safe distance.

5 comments:

Rosa said...

Sooo pretty. I love your deer, too! How sweet!!

Anonymous said...

Cathy,

What beautiful pictures. Happy spring!

Cathy said...

Rosa and Ivonne - thanks so much. Happy spring to both of you too!

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a sweet little Robin in the first picture!! I'm amazed that he didn't fly away! The other pictures are beautiful, too. Our flowers aren't quite in bloom yet...but hopefully soon! :)

Cathy said...

Hi Alice - zoom is a wonderful thing! I was at least 10 or 15 feet away, so he wasn't too concerned. I swear this weekend it seemed like everything suddenly popped, so I'll bet spring will be arriving out your way very soon!