Wednesday, July 14, 2004

They’re Here!

My Lapin cherries from ChefShop.com arrived just a little while ago. I took off early from work today so that they wouldn’t get overheated outside my door.


My cherries have arrived

I was not familiar with Lapin cherries, but selected them over the other varieties offered for two reasons: 1) the estimated shipment date didn’t conflict with my trip to NYC; and 2) the description at ChefShop claims that the Lapin cherry is Greg Batch’s (the grower) favorite of all the cherries.

While I believe the prices at ChefShop are generally very reasonable, shipping five pounds of cherries across the country by 2-day air on the day they are picked isn’t cheap. This was a big indulgence for me and the price per pound is not a number I want to think about. That said, I will now let the guilt go and enjoy my cherries!


Lapin cherries

When I opened the box, I was stunned by how beautiful they were. Unless they buried some ugly ones on the bottom, it appears that each cherry is perfect – deep red, unblemished, with a pert little stem. They are also huge! I allowed myself just one cherry before putting them away to chill, and it was wonderful. It was perfectly ripe – still a little crisp, but not overly firm – and very sweet.


Lapin, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship

2 comments:

Reid said...

Hi Cathy,

They must have been such an indulgence. Are you sure you're going to be able to eat all of those yourself? I just went to Chinatown and got some incredibly delicious Ranier cherries! And they were so cheap! Just $1.99 per pound! I've already eaten half of the bag I got! =)

Cathy said...

Reid - I'm sure I'll have to get some help eating all the cherries! I hope they keep for a while, so I can figure out what to do with them all. I'm planning to make some ice cream this weekend and have been tossing round some ideas for some baked sweets. I'll be eating many of them out-of-hand, I'm sure.

$1.99 for Ranier cherries is amazing! On occasion I've seen them in the grocery store here, but they're usually a little beat up and always very expensive. They are wonderful, though.