Sunday, July 18, 2004

This Week at the Market



I went to the farmers market again today.  Peaches, tomatoes and cucumbers were still plentiful and a few heirloom tomato varieties showed up this week.  I bought two beautiful tomatoes:  one Purple Cherokee and one Brandywine.  I also got some yellow cherry tomatoes – not sure what kind (I don’t think they’re Sungold).
 
For the very first time, I bought cheese at the farmers market – Spring Cheese from Keswick Creamery.  It’s supposed to be a Jack-like cheese with a hint of garlic.
 
I feel like Mary Poppins when I unpack my bag.  It’s amazing how much fits in there.  Besides the tomatoes and cheese, I bought Red Garnet peaches, Swiss Chard, Kirby cucumbers, French Fillet green beans, garlic, corn, and baby sunburst squash.  No matter how carefully I pack the bag though, there are always a few casualties.  My Brandywine tomato was injured, one peach was completely smooshed, and several other peaches were bruised.  Do you think I should bring bubble wrap next time?  ;)


2 comments:

Reid said...

Hi Cathy,

Tempt me again with your beautiful produce. =) Perhaps what you may want to try is large rolling cart or insulated bag to keep your lovely items from bruising.

Cathy said...

Hi Reid - yes, I keep thinking I should buy one of those wheeled carts. Actually, last year I saw someone with the perfect setup - a little red wagon! Wouldn't work well on the Metro escalator though, would it?