Monday, October 04, 2004

Just My Size

Last week the "personal watermelons" were on sale at my grocery store, so I decided to see what all the fuss was about. The personal watermelon is a seedless watermelon that is about the size of a cantaloupe. I live alone, so the size is perfect for me. I also like that they don't require a major commitment of refrigerator space. In terms of taste, I couldn't detect any difference - it tasted like watermelon to me. The seeds are quite small (they're called seedless, but there are many small soft white seeds) so you can eat them, I think, without fear of watermelons growing out of your ears.

They're very attractive too. In fact, I think cut in half and scooped out, they would make fantastic bowls for serving fruit salad.


Reid said...

Hi Cathy,

We have those watermelons here too. They are known as Thai watermelons. Don't ask me why though.... In terms of taste, I don't find them as sweet as the others. Or maybe it's because I don't know how to choose them carefully enough!

Anonymous said...

Oh, those are super cute! I love your idea to use it as a bowl for fruit salad. The grapes really give me a perspective as to its size.


Cathy said...

Reid - I first heard of these just a couple of weeks ago when I read about them in the paper, but I've only seen them in the store that one time. Sounds like maybe you've been seeing them for a while - maybe we'll see more of them here next summer.

Alice - They are cute, aren't they? I confess I just jammed some fruit into the melon "bowl" for the picture - it was late and I didn't feel like making a real fruit salad!

Anonymous said...

we dont have those things here