Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Keeping Warm



Many of the last few days have been cold and wet – a bone chilling combo. Sunday afternoon, as I huddled in a blanket in front of the TV, I decided it was the perfect kind of day to try a recipe for “hot spiced tea”. Recently I have been trying to clear out some back issues of various cooking magazines and this was one of the recipes that I saved from an old issue of Everyday Food (sorry – I neglected to make note of which issue it was from).

This “hot spiced tea” is a milky tea infused with fresh ginger, cinnamon, cloves and black pepper and sweetened with honey. Unfortunately, in order to make the tea I had to go out into the cold and buy some 2% milk and fresh ginger. But once back home, I quickly mixed up a pot of the stuff and indulged in a cup. Mmmmmm – spicy, sweet and warm – like liquid gingerbread. Then it occurred to me – this must be like that chai tea I keep hearing about. Am I the only one in the world that didn’t know about it?

I put the leftovers in the refrigerator and found that the tea reheated beautifully in the microwave. What a wonderful thing to come home to on a soggy Monday night!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

As my husband (the academic and food snob) would point out, in an annoyed tone, 'chai' actually Means 'tea'.

You should read a recent post of his:

http://www.cabbagesandkings.us/fish/battles/04/10/masala_chai.php#comments

Zarah Maria said...

Does sound a lot like the chai I made up the other day - or okay, the infused with spices tea with milk I made the other day ;-) Love it too!

Kelli said...

You've never had chai? Where have you been all your life?!? =) It's my second favorite tea (after Republic of Tea's Blackberry Sage!). But steer clear of those sugar-laden "chai latte" type mixes. They are all sugar and no flavor. If you're feeling lazy, there are a few brands of chai tea bags I like -- Republic of Tea, of course, and Stash are my favorites. And if you're really lucky, when it gets closer to Christmas, you'll be able to find Stash's GINGERBREAD chai. Talk about liquid gingerbread!

Cathy said...

Stephanie - funny that your husband and I both posted about the topic on the same day! It MUST be the weather! Anyway, I look forward to trying his recipe.

Zarah Maria - yes, I think I'm hooked now - no matter what it's called!

Kelli - I've seen it in all the stores, but never knew anyone who drank it (or at least who talked about drinking it). Since I only drink decaf and thought I didn't like sweetened tea, what I was seeing in the stores didn't really appeal to me. But if I make this (or some other variation) myself with decaffeinated tea, that takes care of that worry, and I was amazed to find out how much I like the honey in there! I'll have to keep an eye out for the teas you've mentioned - thanks!