Monday, July 04, 2005

Mondays with Maida - German Oatmeal Cookies


Page 60 in the old book / page 94 in the new book

These are soft, slightly spicy oatmeal cookies loaded with raisins, dates, pecans, and chocolate chips.

Making these cookies was easy and uneventful. Maida Heatter's note that accompanies the recipe refers to them as "real old-fashioned cookie-jar cookies" and I would agree. In taste and texture they remind me of some banana cookies my mom used to make, even though they have no banana in them. I thought they were very good.

'Tis the season for vacations and the cookie panelists are no exception. Both Denny and Phil are vacationing this week but will return next week.

Suzanne: "This cookie had so many things in it that it masked the taste of the raisins. The chocolate chips made the cookie. Yeah chocolate! Rating - 3.8"

Terri: "A delicious combination of chocolate chips, pecans, raisins and oatmeal make this chunky cookie a great mix of textures. Seemed a tad bit dry, not a moist type cookie. Rating - 4"

Laura: "Sweet, tasty and a little bit of everything - nuts, chocolate, raisins, etc. Yummy goodness. Rating - 4"

Overall rating by the panel - 3.9

By the way, just wanted to call attention to the Top Ten list that I recently set up. Now that the cookie panel has rated a little over ten different cookies, I will maintain a list of the ten most highly rated cookies with links to the original posts. You'll find a link to the Top Ten list in the sidebar along with the links to the Mondays with Maida archive and nutrition facts.

Next week - Norman Rockwell's Oatmeal Wafers

Nutrition Facts

4 comments:

Nic said...

I think that I would have loved these. Oatmeal cookies with loads of stuff in them are almost always my favorites.

Cathy said...

Hi Nic - I love oatmeal cookies too, and I like these a lot. They weren't like typical oatmeal cookies, though - they more cake-like in consistency, but mighty tasty!

Reid said...

Hi Cathy,

Now that's an oatmeal cookie that I could love! For some reason, I don't like cookies that are chewy or cake-like, unless they are made with oatmeal. Oatmeal and lotsa raisins. Mmmm! =P

Cathy said...

Hi Reid! I agree - oatmeal and raisin are THE perfect pairing!