Monday, July 11, 2005

Norman Rockwell's Oatmeal Wafers


Page 61 in the old book / page 90 in the new book

These are beautiful, large, thin cookies with a delicate crunch and an interesting name. Maida Heatter's note explains "They are a favorite of Norman Rockwell, the great illustrator of Americana."

I liked these a lot. They are not overly sweet and have a wonderful texture. I think the walnuts I used were a little less flavorful than normal and didn't have that slightly astringent bite you normally associate with walnuts, so the flavor of the cookies was a little bland. With better nuts, though, I think they would be outstanding.

These were very easy to make. I used parchment on the cookie sheets as I normally do, but for these cookies I'd say it is essential.

Here's the cookie panel - Terri is filling in for Suzanne, who is on vacation this week:

Terri: "These wafer-like cookies (1/4 inch thick) are a wonderful combination of nuts, oatmeal and a great buttery flavor. Chocolate chips would make them perfect! Rating - 4.5"

Denny: "Obviously Norm got his inspiration elsewhere. I'd give them a 2.9, rather ordinary. Good but ordinary. Rating - 2.9"

Laura: "Yummy crispy oatmeal cookies... my favorite, so far. Rating - 5"

Phil: "A flying saucer like wafer with a crater like surface. Great choice for those sci fi or NASA gourmands. This thin, chewy cookie is not as sweet or sticky as the Praline wafers (previously reviewed) but more a buttery fusion of yummy yet hard to decipher ingredients. Rating - 4.5"

Overall rating by the panel - 4.2

Next week - Oatmeal Snickerdoodles

Nutrition Facts

11 comments:

Stephanie said...

Cookies...nice. But I love your mug!

Reid said...

Hi Cathy,

These look crispy and I judging by what the panel had to say, I'm sure I'd love them too. I'm glad you're getting on to the oatmeal section now! =)

Cathy said...

Hi Stephanie - thanks, I do too!

Hi Reid - I think I'll be enjoying this part of the book too. I can't wait for the Raisin Oatmeal Cookies, which are described as chewy and crunchy!

Nic said...

I've got to agree with Reid: I'm looing forward to the oatmeal section, too. Oatmeal Snickerdoodles? Be still my heart!

Cathy said...

Hi Nic! I have heard of snickerdoodles, but I'm not sure aside from the cinnamon what characterizes a snickerdoodle. I have a question for you or any other snickerdoodle fans out there - what makes a snickerdoodle a snickerdoodle?

santos. said...

i imagine you have line of people just waiting for someone to drop out of the cookie panel. don't you worry that some rabid oatmeal lover might take some extreme measures to get on the panel in the few weeks?

Cathy said...

Hi Santos! The cookies are available for everyone in the office to sample, so being on the panel is not necessary for that. I do save cookies when someone on the panel is out for a day or two, so I suppose that's a benefit. That and having an audience for their cookie reviews!

Kelli said...

The cookies sound great, but what I'm really drooling over is the mug!! =) And the idea of oatmeal snickerdoodles. Yum.

Cathy said...

Thanks Kelli! - I'm very fond of the mug myself - it's a souvenir of my first trip to Italy four years ago. I'm nearly certain, however, that it is actually made in China. I have several other related pieces, one of which (a cereal bowl) was purchased in a New York drug store for $1.50!

Chocopie said...

Norman Rockwell oatmeal wafers are certainly tasty. Especially with a cup of coffee !

Cathy said...

Hi Chocopie! Have you tried them? I agree - they would be good with coffee!