Monday, July 18, 2005

Mondays with Maida - Oatmeal Snickerdoodles


Page 62 in the old book / page 91 in the new book

I think snickerdoodle lovers will love these cookies, but others may find them a little plain. They are small, thin and crunchy, with cinnamon inside and out.

These were easy to make, but the method given doesn't result in especially attractive cookies. The cookies are dropped and then sprinkled with the cinnamon-sugar mixture. I think the more traditional way of making snickerdoodles is to form them into balls and then roll the balls in the cinnamon and sugar. If I were to make these again, I think I'd try that approach.

Here's the cookie panel - Suzanne is still on vacation, but will be back next week:

Terri: "If you like French toast, you'll enjoy Oatmeal Snickerdoodles. A flat, chewy cookie with a great cinnamon taste. Delicious with coffee. Rating - 4.0"

Denny: "I'd give them a 3, but they taste like Norman Rockwell's favorites. Equally uninspiring. Rating - 3.0"

Laura: "My favorite so far! The perfect amount of crunch! You can go wrong with cinnomon! 10 of 5. Rating - 5"

Phil: "Not quite up to par with the oatmeal competition so far. A dense, crunchy cookie with good but not remarkable flavor. Rating 3.2"

Overall rating by the panel - 3.8

Next week - Oatmeal Molasses Cookies

Nutrition Facts

5 comments:

Cathy said...

Hi AG - thanks! It is a funny name, and I didn't think to find out about it before doing the post. Here's a link (go to the bottom of the page) that discusses possible origins of the name.

Cerebrum said...

I was looking at this recipe the other day, had to find an oatmeal cookie recipe for my friend that swoons at the thought of those. They look good, but I've been disappointed by snickerdoodles before - ones without oatmeal though. Maybe I'm just more into moist and chewy cookies? They just sound like I'd love them - French toast, yay!

Cathy said...

Hi Zarah! I think that's my problem - I like a chewy cookie. Actually I like a cookie that is just a little crunchy outside and moist and chewy inside. These oatmeal cookies have all been crunchy (even next week's). I'm still holding out hope for the last one though!

Reid said...

Hi Cathy,

I like snickerdoodles, and I think the combination of snickerdoodles and oatmeal would be really delicious! I'm inspired now.

Cathy said...

Hi Reid! That's right you're the crunchy cookie lover, so these cookies should be right up your alley!