Monday, June 25, 2007

Mondays with Maida - Charlie Brown's Peanut Cookies


Page 231 in the old book / page 255 in the new book

One look at the list of ingredients and I knew this one was a contender for the "Top Ten" list: cinnamon, brown sugar, salted peanuts, peanut butter, and chocolate chips (not to mention two sticks of butter). I liked these very much, but... how do I put this... they're good in an obvious and not very subtle way. They're kids' cookies - not that there's anything wrong with that. We're all kids when it comes to cookies I suppose!

This cookie is a thumbprint cookie made from a brown sugar dough with a little cinnamon added. You roll each ball of dough in chopped, salted peanuts and then poke it with your thumb to make way for a dollop of peanut butter. Then to absolutely, positively guarantee that everyone will love them, you arrange a few chocolate chips atop each one.

Here's the panel...

Suzanne: "I love the name of the cookie. You will never get a complaint from me when the cookie has peanut butter, peanuts, and chocolate chips. There is a certain way you need to eat these cookies since the chocolate chips are in the center and on top of the cookie. You need to eat around the chips and then put the center of the cookie with the chips in your mouth all at once. Then you get a surprise of peanut butter and chocolate chips together. Can you tell my favorite candy is Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup?. Rating - 5.0"

Laura: "Crunchy and very peanutty, with a dab of chocolate. Delish! Rating - 4.0"

Denny: "Wow. Awesome to look at. They actually look overloaded and they are. Almost too many peanuts, but not really. Extra crunchy and not too sweet and the crown of chocolate chips puts them over the top. Can't think of too many better except for my Mom's. Rating - 5.0"

Terri: "These are fantastic! I could eat the whole batch! A great combination of nuts, chocolate, peanut butter and chewiness. The nuts are not ground completely, so they add to the crunchiness of this great cookie. A big winner. Rating - 5.0"

Overall rating by the panel - 4.8

Next week - English Gingersnaps #1

Nutrition Facts

6 comments:

Heleen said...

Another great looking cookie! I so enjoy your posts and pictures. This weekend I went through your posts, book in hand, marking those recipes I definately have to try from this book. I am a person that needs a visual to make a recipe look appealing, and your blog has provided that, for which I thank you very much! I'm keeping on with the reading every week!

Anonymous said...

"Charlie Brown," mumbles Peppermint Patty through a mouthful of his peanut cookies, "these are possibly the best cookies EVER! I'd marry you in an instant and have your children if it weren't for that 'other' girl."

Haha! Never thought to do a "caption this" on a featured cookie from Maida but this one rocks! I will refer to my copy and make them this week... ;-)

Brett said...

These look/sound so amazing! Are you willing to give out recipes via email?

Brett said...

Never mind, I found it on the interwebs:
http://www.floras-hideout.com/recipes/recipes.php?page=recipes&data=ca/Charlie_Brown_s_Peanut_Cookies

Cathy said...

Hi Heleen - thanks so much! I've found the photos have become a handy reference for me as well! The name doesn't always jog my memory the way a photo will.

Hi Rowena! Noooo - Peppermint Patty has forsaken Schroeder for "Chuck" because of a cookie?!? :) Enjoy the cookies!

Cathy said...

Hi Sucellus - thanks! Glad you found the recipe!