Monday, June 18, 2007

Mondays with Maida - Sour Cream and Pecan Dreams


Page 229 in the old book / page 254 in the new book

These cookies are formed like thumbprint cookies, with a smidgen of brown sugar, sour cream, pecan, and cinnamon filling. They are firm, but not quite chewy and have a hint of cinnamon from the filling. One person who really liked these was certain they had pumpkin in them (they don't).

They're quite easy to make, but don't be alarmed if you wind up with lots of extra filling. Well, maybe I should qualify that... I had lots of leftover filling and I think the cookies were just fine. In fact, I'm not sure where all that filling was supposed to go. Perhaps if I'd chopped the nuts more finely I might have been able to fit more into each cookie. If you do end up with extra filling, I found a great way to use it up: spread some on a piece of bread and put it in the toaster oven or under the broiler. Yum!

Here's the panel...

Suzanne: "The cookie was good, not great, but good. I would have liked the cookie a little bit softer, but I did enjoy the taste of the brown sugar and pecans. I didn’t really taste the sour cream topping since it was mixed with brown sugar and cinnamon. Rating - 3.5"

Laura: "Sweet and tasty cookie with a very yummy bit of pecan-pie type dollop in the center. Rating - 3.5"

Denny: "Excellent. Subtly flavored but really good. I'm not sure why I like them so much, but I do. I'd give them a 3 after -1 no chocolate deduction. Rating - 3.0"

Drucie: "These cookies are moist and chewy with a flavor that is subtle yet delicious. I don't usually like cookies with nuts in them, but these have made me see the light! I really like these cookies. Rating - 4.5"

Overall rating by the panel - 3.6

Next week - Charlie Brown's Peanut Cookies

Nutrition Facts

4 comments:

Amy said...

Sounds perfect for a holiday cookie tray!

Anonymous said...

Those looks delicious

Anonymous said...

Cathy, I have to say that after such a long absence from a pc, reading about your cookie experiments on Mondays with Maida gives me much comfort!

Cathy said...

Hi Amy! Yes they would be - they're nice looking and have both nuts and cinnamon. Sounds good to me!

Hi cooking ninja - thanks!!

Hi Rowena! And it give me much comfort to have you back here again!