Monday, June 26, 2006

Mondays with Maida - Oatmeal Icebox Cookies


Page 140 in the old book / page 175 in the new book

I would classify these cookies as old-fashioned cookie jar cookies. They are sweet and crunchy with a generous helping of walnuts. Though they have an open, crunchy texture, they are quite sturdy and I expect they would ship well. With a little ginger and vanilla, they have a distinctive, but mild flavor.

Because of its crunchy, dry texture, I had a hunch that crumbling one over some vanilla ice might be nice. Having no ice cream on hand, I reserved a couple of cookies for that purpose and packed up the rest for the office. The next evening I picked up some vanilla ice cream and treated myself to a little ice cream a la cookie. It was delicious. Hmmm, bet they'd be good on top of some cooked fruit too - sort of like a crumble, buckle, or cobbler. Anyone up for a cookie crumble?

Here's the panel...

Suzanne: The cookie was crunchy but boring. There was nothing attractive about the cookie or appealing to the taste. A granola bar would have been more interesting to eat. Sorry, but this one is only getting a rating of 2. Rating- 2.0"

Denny: "A good cookie. Not spectacular, but good. Rating - 3.0"

Laura: "Crunchy and yummy! Rating - 4.5"

Herman: "I like oatmeal and crunchy … as a result, my rating on these cookies is 4.5 out of 5. Rating - 4.5"

Overall rating by the panel - 3.5

Next week - Peanut-Butter Pillows

Nutrition Facts

6 comments:

Joycelyn said...

hi cathy, crunchy, nutty, oatmeal cookies? and an icebox number too? sign me up please ;) beautiful picture, and your idea of crumbling the cookie over vanilla ice cream really rocks my boat!

Nic said...

I have to agree that the ice cream idea was a great one, as is the crumble topping. Too bad Suzanne doesn't seem to like oatmeal cookies, though!

Cathy said...

Hi Jocelyn - thanks! I normally prefer a chewy oatmeal cookie, but I liked these a lot.

Hi Nic - maybe if I'd brought some vanilla ice cream in to work with the cookies, Suzanne might have warmed up to them a bit more!

Anonymous said...

I had to chuckle of Suzanne's comment! Poor oatmeal cookie, they get no respect I tell ya! Actually they do come off as a sort of "wallflower" on the social scene, but after I tried the one with the fleur de sel on top ( I think from Baking Sheet?), I was hooked on anything oatmeal...just pass the salt please!

Cathy said...

Hi Rowena! Yes, that was from Nic's blog - I love salty oat cookies! I've long enjoyed ones from a nearby bakery and then I was the fortunate recipient of a batch of Nic's. Oatmeal cookies are tops in my book!

Irma said...

Hi Cathy,
I've cooked this cookies and I've linked my post on mu blog to your. :)
Very good cookies!
thanks for your work about Maida's recipes!
Just a question: where did you find the nutrition facts of every recipe? There is a web site for calculate this?
thanks
have a nice day
Irma from Italy