Monday, June 19, 2006

Mondays with Maida - Pecan Butterscotch Icebox Cookies


Page 139 in the old book / page 174 in the new book

This week brings another very easy to make butterscotch cookie, but this cookie gets its butterscotch flavor from butter and brown sugar alone. The flavor in these is more subtle and though crunchy, it's not the candy-like crunch of last week's cookie. The milder flavor and less brittle crunch allow the pecans to play a bigger role in the taste and texture of these cookies.

I liked these a lot and appreciated the fact that they were made without butterscotch morsels! They aren't a razzle dazzle cookie - just plain, good and true.

Here's the panel...

Suzanne: Delicious! The cookie was thin, crunchy and buttery. I loved the butterscotch and pecan combination. I could eat the whole box. Rating- 5.0"

Denny: "Just a little bit better than the last ones, but I'd still give them a 3. Rating - 3.0"

Laura: "Crunchy, nutty, and delicious. Rating - 4.0"

Terri: "These cookies have more of a buttery taste than a butterscotch taste. I almost wouldn't notice a butterscotch flavor. The crunchiness of the pecans and thinness (about 1/4" thick) make this a delicious treat. Rating - 3.5"

Overall rating by the panel - 3.9

Next week - Oatmeal Icebox Cookies

Nutrition Facts

5 comments:

Raquel said...

Reading your blog every Monday has become an habit! Thank´s a lot for sharing!

African Kelli said...

I'm telling you what, I hate nuts and these still look so, so good! I love this idea.

Jen said...

wow, you are seriously making my mouth water!!
I am having cookie cravings right now but am a bit too lazy to actually bake some.... looking at yours will suffice for now.
Nice Blog : )

Anonymous said...

That looks intriguing. I like butterscotch cookies that get their taste from the butter and brown sugar; it's more subtle. Butterscotch morsels tend to overpower the overall taste.

Like Guru, reading your Monday posts is a habit for me, too. But wait...are you going to do the same cookie next week? m

Cathy said...

Hi guru - thanks so much! I'm always happy to hear that!

Hi Kelli! You know, someone I work with was (is) a professed nut-hater, but she had decided that pecans aren't so bad. You just might like these!

Hi Jenjen - Thank you! Maybe you need something like this in your freezer so you can slice and bake when the cravings hit!

Hi Mari! I agree about the butterscotch morsels... they have such an artificial color too. I'm so happy to hear you're a regular Mari - thank you! Oops - I will fix that "next week" listing - don't worry, it will be something new!