Monday, June 12, 2006

Mondays with Maida - Butterscotch Thins


Page 138 in the old book / page 173 in the new book

These cookies were exceedingly thin and very crunchy. They were fairly average cookies, but even so, they were hard to stop eating. It's sort of like potato chips - there's so little to each one, that it's easy to rationalize that there's no harm in eating just one more.

I found the dough easy to slice, in spite of the fact that these must be cut about one eighth of an inch thick. Don't be tempted to crowd these cookies. Despite the tiny bit of dough in each cookie, they actually do spread a surprising amount.

I was put off by the fact that the butterscotch flavoring in these cookies comes from melted butterscotch morsels, but pleasantly surprised to find that I really enjoyed them. The nuts give these cookies a little visual interest, but are hardly noticeable in such a crunchy cookie. They aren't nearly as fragile as you might think, though they may not be suitable for mailing.

Here's the panel...

Suzanne: The cookie was pleasant but not great. The cookie was breakable crunchy and had a definite butterscotch, pecan taste. Since the cookie was thin, I looked for the fattest cookie. I told myself that this was so I could give a fair evaluation to the taste and texture of the cookie. The bad thing is I felt I could have several to make up for the thickness of one cookie. With thoughts like this, how am I ever going to loose those 5 extra pounds? Rating- 3.0"

Denny: "Average - 3.0. Butterscotch overpowered pecans, making them pointless. Rating - 3.0"

Laura: "Crunchy goodness! The flavor was light and wonderful! Rating - 4.0"

Terri: "These are light and delicious. These wafer-thin cookies have a distinctive butterscotch taste and the pecans add just the right amount of crunchiness. These would be delicious with chocolate or vanilla ice cream. Rating - 3.5"

Overall rating by the panel - 3.4

Next week - Pecan Butterscotch Icebox Cookies

Nutrition Facts

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So happy to read your entry! I made my first cookies with two girlfriends yesterday. They were snickerdoodles, and apparently a hot favourite in the US. I would love to learn other types. Would you call these butterscotch thins easy to make?

megz_mum said...

Hi there! I wanted to let you know that my Maida Haiter book has arrived - very exciting!
The recipes look great, shame there are no photos, but I might cook along behind you then I will know how they should look. Can't wait to start...but I have to wait! No time until the weekend.

Cathy said...

Hi lpc - yes, I think you're right about the snickerdoodles! These are very easy to make. Since the "log" of dough is small around and the pecans are chopped fine, it is no problem to slice them very thin (provided, of course, you have a very sharp knife!)

Hi megz_mum - that is exciting! I know you're going to love the book. Have fun this weekend!

Nic said...

I was thinking about making these recently for my neighbor's son's soccer team (I know that sounds long, but he's 10 and very appreciative of cookies) and from the sound of it, these should go over pretty well.

I also have another recipe that I make for butterscotch cookies, but they only use brown sugar and no butterscotch morsels. They, too, spread quite a lot, but they are chewy, rather than crisp. If I get around to it, I might try a taste test!

Annie said...

These cookies look awesome. I just made a batch of Cereal Bars that were also thin and crunchy. To take a look, click here
Love your blog.

Cathy said...

Hi Nic - I was also thinking these would probably go over really well with kids. The only thing they might not be thrilled with is the nuts (which actually aren't that noticeable and could just as well be left out). Next week's cookies also use just brown sugar for the butterscotch flavor, but they are also crisp.

Thanks so much Annie - your cereal bars sound good too!

Anonymous said...

Hi I've been reading your blog off and on, it's awesome! I LOVE IT! I would like to know the receipe for this "Mondays with Maida - Butterscotch Thins" I do not have this book.
Thanks!
Please email me at tracknfield81@yahoo.com
Anita