Tuesday, July 13, 2004

What is it?

Do you know what this is?

I bought this a couple of years ago at a flea market in New York City. I thought the ridged bakelite handle was cute and was curious what it might be. The woman that was selling it thought it might be an old-time vegetable peeler. I just couldn't see that and told her I wondered if it might be a butter curler. Well, I bought it and still have no idea what it is.

Tonight I put it to the test. I was surprised to find that it performed better as a vegetable peeler than a butter curler, but I'm still not convinced that is it's true calling.

Any ideas?

A butter curler?

A vegetable peeler?


Reid said...

Hi Cathy,

Looks like an interesting gadget. Looks more like a vegetable peeler though (IMHO).

Cathy said...

Reid - it's definitely a possibility, but I think I'll stick with my standard issue Ecko and Oxo peelers!

Alberto - a cake decorating tool had occurred to me also, but I hadn't considered a fish scaler. That's an interesting idea.

Anonymous said...

looks VERY similar to some of the fish de-scalers that i saw growing up!!