Monday, January 08, 2007

Mondays with Maida - Ginger Shortbread Cookies


Page 188 in the old book / page 217 in the new book

These cookies are mildly spiced and very crunchy. The texture was verging on a candy-like crunch and wasn't at all what I expected for a cookie labelled as shortbread. When I first read the recipe and saw it called for dark brown sugar and it was called shortbread, I thought it too good to be true. I guess it was!

They couldn't be easier to make. The dough comes together quickly and then is rolled between sheets of wax paper before chilling for just a few minutes. Cutting the cookies out is equally easy, as the dough handles well. I didn't have a smooth circle cookie cutter of the proper size (1-3/4 inch), so I made some with a slightly smaller (1-1/2 inch) cutter and some with a slightly larger (2 inch) one. Both sizes worked well. These cookies spread a little and left some melted butter on the cookie sheet.

Here's the panel...

Suzanne: "This was a good cookie, not great, just good. The spices reminded me of spices in a pumpkin pie and therefore would be good to serve in the winter months. Rating - 3.0"

Denny: "Excellent. I'm not that big on ginger, but these are great. I don't even eat gingerbread because of the ginger taste. The glaze seemed to make them a little crunchier. I'd give them a 4, deducting 1 for no chocolate. Rating - 4.0"

Laura: "Yummy crunchy cookies - just the right mix of spices! These are very tasty cookies. Rating - 4.0"

Terri: "These cookies are delicious. Just the right amount of ginger makes them mild, but spicy. The almond in the middle is not only decorative, but very tasty. I liked the crunchiness of this cookie too. Rating - 4.5"

Overall rating by the panel - 3.6

Next Week - Dione Lucas' Sablés

Nutrition Facts

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmm, mmm, mmm! I love ginger, I love things spicy. I'll give those a try.

Anonymous said...

These look delicious!!!

Anonymous said...

I would sprinkle a little caribbean cinnamon over it, that would definitely bounce the flavor up a bit.

Cathy said...

Hi Mari! I think these were most enjoyed by those who like their spices a little milder.

Hi Lu! Thanks!

Hi Burgess - I recently tried all the cinnamons offered at Penzey's and they didn't have one called caribbean. Anyway, after your comment I was curious to find out a little more, so I searched on caribbean cinnamon and guess what the first result was - a tarantula!!!! Reading further down the list I did find mention that cinnamon is grown in the caribbean, but have not yet found any offered for sale. If you have a source, let me know!

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm, ginger... why am I feeling anxious all of a sudden? Could it be just the memory of that endless marathon of gb-men that still lingers on my mind? {wink wink}

Actually these sound really good and I like the crunch factor!

mary grimm said...

I think last week was de-lurking week, but I'm extending it a bit to say how much I've enjoyed this series of posts--I look forward to the new one every week.

Cathy said...

Hi Rowena - you must have gb-men nightmares after that hoard!

Hi Lucette - thanks so much!