Monday, December 13, 2004

Mondays with Maida - Chocolate Applesaucers


Page 26 in the old book / page 43 in the new book

I know what you’re saying, “OK, now this is starting to get a little old…” I promise, this is the last iced chocolate drop cookie for a little while. There’s one more, but it’s a few weeks off. Actually, it is rather interesting to make and compare a number of similar cookies. Since the changes from week to week are slight, I can start to get a feel for the effect that each small change has on the final product. Anyway, the cookies this week are called Chocolate Applesaucers and, as you might have guessed, they are made with applesauce. They also have walnuts, raisins and spices. Both the cookies and the icing are made with cocoa. The old book doesn’t specify which type of cocoa to use, but the new book calls for Dutch process cocoa, so that’s what I used.

These cookies are mixed in the mixer and go together quite easily. They are very large. The recipe instructs you to use a ¼ cup measuring cup to measure out the dough for each cookie and to only put 5 cookies on each sheet. The recipe is supposed to make 22 cookies, but I ended up with just 20. To get 22, you should probably use a scant ¼ cup for each. Because the cookies are so large, the recipe recommends that you prop up your cooling racks on something to increase the air circulation under the racks, hence my floating cookie racks…



The icing is very easy, but I found it thickened up pretty quickly – probably because the house is so cool. After I had iced half the cookies I added a little more water and the icing returned to a workable consistency. After a few more, I found it necessary to do this again but it was less effective. It probably would have helped if I had reheated the water (boiling water is called for in the recipe).

I was good all day in anticipation of eating one of these cookies. I was out Christmas shopping all afternoon (I’m done – yeah!!) and didn’t get started on them until after dinner. I ate my “sample” almost immediately after it was iced – I couldn’t hold out any longer! It had a nice crisp edge with a moist but not chewy interior, and of course all those walnuts and raisins. Both the cookie and icing have a rich, dark chocolate flavor. Very, very good – a solid B+.

Next time – Coconut Grove Cookies.

Nutrition Facts

6 comments:

Niki said...

I'm really enjoying Mondays With Maida. Not getting bored at all! It's fun!

Sam said...

Cathy!
you've got to stop posting those little chocolate cookie recipes. Every week they look better and bettter and I for one am getting very very hungry down here in SF. This batch is so beautifully, wickedly shiny, wow! My tummy is rumbling and I only just had lunch!

Cathy said...

Niki - Good! Thanks for saying so!

Sam - isn't funny how that shiny dark brown gets the juices flowing? You're right - they have been getting better and better. I was sort of disappointed in a couple of the earlier ones, but last week's were good and these were even better.

Reid said...

Hi Cathy,

You're right. The cookies do continue to look a bit similar. Judging by the size, and the nutritional information you provided, I'd probably be able to enjoy half a cookie, even though my stomach is telling me that I need to eat 3 or 4. =)

Cerebrum said...

That's IT! I want this book and I want it NOW! SANTA!?!?! They look gorgeous Cathy - I'm really enjoying your adventure here...

Cathy said...

Reid - sorry about that! If it's any consolation, next week's cookies are considerably lower in calories. I think these are so high mostly because they are so big.

Zarah - thanks, I'm glad! I do wish you could get a copy of the book - maybe Santa is listening...