Friday, December 10, 2004

SHF3 – Auntie Bee’s Cardamom Apricot Muffins



Sugar High Friday has rolled around again. Hosted by Zarah Maria of Food & Thoughts, the theme is “Spice Up Your Winter!” Participants were asked to include cardamom, nutmeg and/or allspice in their sweet creations.

I didn’t have to think about this very long before deciding that I would focus on cardamom. My great aunt, Auntie Bee, who passed away many years ago but still is very fondly remembered by my entire family, once told me that cardamom was her favorite spice. I don’t remember that she told me why, but I believe that she had a fascination with all things Swedish (probably because Uncle Ted’s family was Swedish) . This fascination apparently included Swedish cooking, because one of the cookbooks I inherited from her is titled “Good Food from Sweden”. Cardamom is commonly used in Scandanavian baked goods.

I looked through Auntie Bee's Swedish cookbook for recipes using cardamom. I found a couple that were possibilities, but the instructions all started with “Wash and dry butter.” I had no idea what that meant, although I’ve since found some instructions on-line for washing butter , and I suspect it is not necessary with the butter we purchase today.



Having ruled out the recipes from the Swedish cookbook, I was briefly at a loss as to where to turn next but then remembered that I have Auntie Bee’s recipe boxes! I looked through her recipes for cookies, cakes and breads and came up with several recipes using cardamom. There were recipes for a Coffee Braid, Holiday Cardamom Bread, Margo’s Danish Pastry, and Cardamom Fruit Muffins. I’d eventually like to try the other recipes, but for this occasion I went with the easy one – Cardamom Fruit Muffins. It is actually a variation of a recipe called “Rich & Sweet Muffins” that calls for the addition of ground cardamom and candied fruit. I swapped dried apricots for the candied fruit, cut the recipe in half, and added a cinnamon icing (an idea I got from the coffee braid recipe). The muffins were really wonderful. I don’t think I’ve ever made muffins with butter before. My usual recipe for blueberry muffins calls for melted butter, but I’ve always substituted vegetable oil. What a difference the butter makes! The crust is tender and crunchy-crumbly and the muffins live up to their name – they are rich and sweet!

Auntie Bee’s Cardamom Apricot Muffins

makes 6 – can be doubled

1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground cardamom
¼ cup softened butter
¼ cup sugar
1 egg
¼ cup milk
¼ cup chopped, dried apricots

Preheat oven to 375 F. Butter a 6 cup muffin tin. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and cardamom and set aside. Cream the butter with the sugar and then beat in the egg. On low speed add half the flour mixture, then the milk, and then the rest of the flour mixture. Add the apricots. Spoon batter into muffin tin and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Allow to cool a little, then drizzle with cinnamon icing (strained confectioner’s sugar and a bit of cinnamon mixed with a little milk or cream). I used a sandwich bag with a corner clipped off to drizzle the icing.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, sounds wonderful. I also have many Swedish ancestors, but I am not lucky enough to possess their recipe boxes...probably because my Swedish ancestors were male! Anyway, those muffins look wonderful and they just might be the perfect thing to treat my family to. Thanks!
Alice

ajay said...

i love muffins and yours definitely looks like a yummy family recipe..:)

debbie koenig said...

They're bee-yoo-tee-full! And I had no idea that cardamom was used in Swedish cooking, so I learned something too. What a great post.

Cerebrum said...

They're just cute-looking muffins Cathy! I'm green with envy about the old box from your aunt - I wish my family had been more food-geeky than I am, leaving me stuff like that. Oh well, I must start a tradition of my own!

Thank you for participating in Sugar High Friday again!
Zarah

Cathy said...

Thanks Alice! The butter is a bit of a splurge, but oh so good!

Thanks very much Annalyn!

Hi Debbie - thanks! Though I'm afraid the recipe I ended up using probably doesn't qualify as a Swedish recipe.

Hi Zarah - thank YOU for hosting this SHF! You really did a great job.

Carolyn said...

Cathy, cardamom and apricot--what a combination-tart-sweet and peppery. They look yummy.

Cathy said...

Thanks Carolyn! I thought of using apricots because not too long ago I used cardamom pods in an Indian-inspired dish (I think it was a Nigella Lawson recipe) which was loaded with apricots and cardamom. It is a nice combination!