Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Dining with the Bloggers - November 23rd



When I started thinking about what I wanted to make for Dining with the Bloggers this week, bread came immediately to mind. The only problem was I didn't start thinking about it until Monday night and there simply wasn't enough time to make a yeast bread, which is what I really had my heart set on. In any case, when I thought of bread I thought of Kelli at Culinary Epiphanies. With her "BOTW" or Bread of the Week posts, it's a natural place to go looking for a bread recipe. She also seems to favor whole grains, which appeals to me.

I found a yeast bread I really wanted to try, but started doing the math and realized I would be up all night. So, I searched on "quick" to see what kind of quick breads I might turn up and found a recipe for Spiced Applesauce Bread which sounded pretty great. I didn't have any applesauce on hand, but did have a three Ginger Gold apples that had been hanging out in the refrigerator a little too long. Tuesday morning I quickly pared the apples and cooked them with just a bit of water. After a few minutes I mashed them with a potato masher and measured out the amount needed for the recipe. There was a little extra sauce which I polished off (I believe that's referred to as the cook's reward?) . It was surprisingly sweet, despite the fact that I hadn't added any sugar.

I made the bread Tuesday evening after work. Such a simple recipe! The wet ingredients are mixed together in a bowl, the dry ingredients are sifted in and then blended in. I used a cup of whole wheat flour as Kelli suggested, but forgot to add the pecans. The bread was beautiful and really good. I love raisins in quick breads, so I'd be very tempted to add them (as well as the pecans) another time.

Old apples may not turn black and ugly like old bananas, but I do find myself avoiding them as they get older. I like crisp, juicy apples, and I think apples tend to get mealy and mushy the longer they sit. Anyway, I think this bread may be the answer to that problem! Of course, plain old applesauce is another great alternative, but this bread is a real treat - thanks Kelli!

Be sure to stop by Zarah's and see what she's cooked up!

4 comments:

Cerebrum said...

There must be something in the air, I've been thinking about yeasted breads for the last couple of weeks too! This does look divine though, lovely picture Cathy!

Anonymous said...

Bread seems to be making the rounds in foodblogger land and I think I'm gonna jump on the wagon with everyone else. Brava again for doing all the work and introducing us all to yet another great blog!

Kelli said...

Thanks, Cathy -- You're so sweet! =) This being November and all, I'm thinking that bread could really benefit from some dried cranberries... maybe I'll try that on Friday!

Cathy said...

Hi Zarah! Maybe the weather - when it's chilly out, there's nothing like a warm kitchen with a yeasty bread baking in the oven! I tell you though, something like this with that heavenly scent of cinnamon is a close contender!

Hi Rowena! Not much work at all this time (thank goodness!).

Hi Kelli! Oooh, cranberries! Great idea - especially with the pecans! Thanks for all the great recipes Kelli - I really want to try the cardamom bread and the one you posted the other day with cranberries and cornmeal - mmmm!